Couples Therapy is specifically designed to help partners or spouses develop better communication, understanding and appreciation for each other and their union as a whole. Topics discussed in couples counseling will vary from couple to couple, however common themes include understanding needs, learning strategies to negotiate differences, problem solving techniques, and developing greater intimacy or closeness.
We strongly recommend premarital counseling prior to saying “I do” or moving in together. Pre-marital counseling can help dating or engaged couples:
– gain a deeper understanding of each other;
– develop healthy ways to navigate conflicts that will naturally arise – while staying connected.
Those are extremely important steps to conquer before marriage. Investing in pre-marital counseling helps couples by providing a solid foundation of communication and coping skills to help them create a happy and healthy marriage from day one.
Some common themes addressed in couples counseling:
- Working through infidelity
- Divorce and separation
- Sexual incompatibility
- Physical or mental conditions impacting the couple
- Same-sex relationship issues
- Spiritual/cultural differences
- Financial management
- Co-parenting after a divorce
- Remarriage & blending families
- Communication problems
- Conflicts about child rearing
- Changing roles (i.e. workforce reentry, retirement)